July 17, 2007

Carleton Varney, Part VI - Wicker Furniture

I think that looking at my CV book is like fortune telling with a magic book... Today, the book opened to a piece about wicker furniture. It's very hot here and I often wish I had a nice shaded front porch with some old white wicker furniture.
CV asks whether you can "vizualize a dining room with a rich lettuce-green Parsons table and dining chairs of white wicker with shocking-pink cushion seats?" Or a young girl's bedroom with a wicker headboard, a wicker elephant painted hot pink, with a tray for the bedside table and "brilliant shocking pink, lettuce green and mandarin orange wallpaper on the ceiling". How was that poor child supposed to sleep?

I love white wicker with blue and white fabric in a ticking or a toile. Lots of down pillows to counteract some of the hard edges of the wicker and jugs of summer drinks. I must say that I am not a fan of this faux wicker made out of plastic-coated metal. I like the old kind that creaks when you sit on it... that you have to vacuum at the beginning of the season... that you have to spray paint to touch up.
Interestingly enough, one of the early mass manufactuers of wicker furniture in the1850's was the Haywood Brothers & Wakefield Company, who maybe more well-known for their mid-century modern wood furniture.

3 comments:

  1. cocoa dandy damask cabana? i saw your mention of that fabric on casapinka's site. where does one find similarly fabulous fabrics? i'm desperate for a brown and white large geometric print to cover some chairs...even just huge brown and white stripes would do..many thanks for any help u can provide! -janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wacky for wicker! (Did I just say that?!?)And I also have it in my daughter's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carleton's the greatest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.