April 2, 2008

The Inside

Forgive me, for I have sinned. I did sneak a couple of pix of the house on Saturday. But I HAD to! The interiors are just so incredible that the devil made me do it... As I said to House the other day, "Heaven for the view, hell for the company".

The Garretts who owned Evergreen had three boys, so naturally, they needed a place for their schooling and recreation. So they built an addition that housed a billiards room, a bowling alley and a theatre. The ceilings in the theatre were painted and stenciled by Leon Bakst, the Russian painter who created sets for the Ballet Russes. Apparently, he lived with the Garretts for about six months and did a lot of decorative painting throughout the house. The reception/dressing room on the side of the theatre has a rooster motif, echoed in the stenciled ceiling. The ceiling is curved slightly, so it was a chore!
There were ten different stencils required to do each repeat. If you look closely along the bottom of the image above, you can just see the 10 numbers.

One of the rooms on the main floor had the most interesting walls, which were almost contemporary in their theme. Again, stencils were applied to the walls, and instead of paint, plaster was applied, so the motif was slightly raised. The room was painted a lovely celery green with white. I can't even imagine having to repaint this room.
Another simple but elegant detail was the tiebacks for the curtains. Instead of being pulled back all the way to the window frame, there was a button set about 12 inches from the window edge of the curtain (I am sure that there's a more technical term for this!) and then the tieback was buttoned to that.

Here are some more exterior shots. Cupola on the theatre wing of the house.

I love interesting doors. Here's another one for the collection.


I am always looking at contrasts, here between the straight lines of the columns and the organic form of the trees.Thanks for visiting... see you in hell!

15 comments:

  1. 'Twas worth it, PD. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rooster stencils are so charming. Also, that was very creative to use plaster as opposed to paint with the geometric stencil design. Glad you took photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh -i think you get a 'get out of jail free' card for just 4 photos - these are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that door! How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad you sinned! I love to see into lovely homes like that one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for more peeks. You got some good shots! I agree, interesting door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have an open house every year at Christmas -- it's beautifully decorated. You should definitely go if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meg - you have such a talent for photography - that last photo is beautiful. Those walls! wow - I love that - and don't worry about repainting - I'm sure they won't!

    Those stencils - my head aches at the thought of that.

    Great photos, great story!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO glad you took these. Amazingly gorgeous to look at. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahahahaha. I giggled my way through this post! Sooo glad you snuck the pics, by the way. As Hubby says, "'Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meg, you totally make me laugh! So funny. Well I can tell it was worth it and I know I've sneaked photos before...

    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't use a flash with these pictures... that's what most of the museums and historic houses are worried about. But I am glad that I did take them, because the place is so amazing that i wanted to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how I love the contrast of the columns and the beautiful curved branches!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.