December 14, 2008

Christmas Greens

For the past week, I've felt like the Greens Elf, making deliveries of the bags of greens I got on the Eastern Shore last Sunday. I had so much greenery that I wanted to share it with friends and family. Today, I finally got around to putting up the greens at my house and at my mother's house.

For the front door of my 1880's era house, I made a wreath of the magnolia leaves, taking a square styrofoam form and then adding the leaves around it. I lightly painted some gold, and then added a gold bow.
For the little window box, I stuffed the planter full of boxwood, so it looks like a boxwood plant.
On either side of the steps, I just stuck the Harry Lauder Walking Stick branches into the potting soil and then filled the space in with a variety of the other greens. My neighbour's parents are coming in from out of town, so I went over there and basically did the same thing to her pot. I used some yew as the centerpiece and then added more greens around the edges.
At my mother's house, we found a pot filled with dirt and I just stuck the magnolia branches into it and placed it in front of the fireplace.
I found a little christening cup and put some of the boxwood into that.
I also stuck some of the boxwood behind the clock on the fireplace surround. I love the smell of boxwood - it reminds me of the holidays.
A crystal vase on the bookshelf was the perfect thing for some of the juniper, complete with blue berries.
I love the look, and the smell, of lots of fresh greens tucked around the house. It's important to always have living greens in your house, especially if they're live plants. They help keep you healthy and the air clean!

21 comments:

  1. Meg - I adore the way you used the boxwood - the christening cup could be a jumping off point for a whole evening. And magnolia - you never see it here and those glossy leaves are so wonderful. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Christmas banner - Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wreath is beautiful - the magnolia with the touch of gold is just perfect. xv

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so beautiful! I love anything with magnolia leaves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks fabulous. How was the art sale?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all! Magnolia leaves are just my favourite thing to make wreaths from. They're so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your wreath. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, i guess in the wee hours of the morning tonight, i'll be scaling a neighbor's magnolia tree for greens. i hope you are prepared to post my bail, meg, since you'll be responsible!

    lovely. and love the fesive header as well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is looking awfully festive up there in Baltimore! I miss working at Mount Vernon...the grounds crew always left piles of boxwood, holly, and magnolia leaves for the stafff to pick up. I think a gift of greens is one of the most delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet... that must have been wonderful! I had such fun sharing the greens with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wreath looks so elegant. And the magnolia leaves in your mother's fireplace are striking. Love the new header too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the boxwood...just put up a bunch of those, but wished I had your magnolia! Looks like you had fun - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the galloping greenie around here...was running out of ideas and you blogged-to-the-rescue, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so fun to use "found" greenery, isn't it?? I'm lucky to have a huge magnolia tree in my own front garden, and he shares limbs with me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So classic and fresh and lovely!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Magnolia and boxwood! Everything looks so lovely :-) I especially love your beautiful wreath and that you shared your greenery cheer with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks terrific! You've inspired me to spread a bit more green around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely Meg. I think the magnolia is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the square wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Perfect in its simplicity. And you are the best neighbor anyone could wish for!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely Christmas! Thanks for stopping by my party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.