January 12, 2010

Property Guardians

I was reading a fascinating article on the rise of “property guardians” in Europe. With the economic downturn, many buildings are left empty, either because a buyer can’t be found, or just waiting for the tide to turn and prices to rise again. Guardians Camberwell London Several firms are specializing in matching people who need a place to live with these houses that need someone to live in them. They’re not renters, per se, but guardians against thievery, squatters and vandals. In the UK, squatters have the right of possession if they can prove they’ve lived in the house or on the land for more than 10 years. Once people begin squatting at a property, it can be very hard to remove them.Guardians Fire-stationSo these guardians pay a bit of rent, usually about £50 a week (about $80) and put down a deposit. There are some spectacular and interesting places that need guarding, and the term of guardianship can last from a few months, to a few years. The properties are not generally furnished, but all have kitchens and baths.Guardians ObservatorySounds like a great way to spend a few months living in the UK on the cheap!Guardians Southwark

17 comments:

  1. I have heard of people squatting and taking possession of properties in the UK, a couple actually told us about it our train ride down to Brighton last year. But I've never heard of the guardianship program, what a great idea!

    Thanks so much for posting this, our daughter has been trying to figure out how to live more cheaply abroad!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! (Now if only I didn't have to quarantine my kitties, which I would never, ever do, even for a chance to live in the UK.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting concept, like an Estate Manager...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whom do I contact about putting my name on a list? What a great way to pass a sabbatical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the animated snowman in your header. Seems he is waving hello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great new header!

    I'm ready to pack my bags and go! Except for the whole house and job and husband and dog being here thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you click on the link to the article, some of the companies are listed. It seems rather simple: passport, banking information, references,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want not approve on it. I think precise post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to review the sound story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want my name on the list too! As long as they come with heat!
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have that in the U.S. too. What an awesome "occupation."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to be a guardian at any of these places. sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so adventurous. Oh, not to have cancer and to be young again!!!!I would tell any healthy, young person to go for it.
    xoxo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wonder if they would let you do it like that?

    when do we get to see the stairs?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this. Good daydream material.
    I checked out the links in the Guardian article. Camelot has the owners pay for utilities; as for Ambika, you have to know a caretaker who is already listed with them.
    Dear Riviera Boardwalk, I feel your dilemma. Warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I work for Ad Hoc in the UK - our website is www.adhoc.eu for more info. It really is that simple, you register and providing you are over 21, can prove that you can support the license fee (as little as £30 outside London, rising the closer you get to the city centre)and have a reference from an employer or landlord then we can try and match you with a property. You do have to live by some rules (such as no live-in partners, pets or smoking in the property) and the notice period is short to quit a building, but on the plus side it is really cheap, we find 98% of guardians new placements when needed and you get to live in some amazing places, normally with all bills included in the small price.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.