June 21, 2010

Classic Cars

Today, I attended a golf tournament to benefit the Baltimore Architecture Foundation, whose Board of Directors I have just joined. 6-21 004 Although the day was beastly hot – in the 90s – it was a great event and we raised a load of money. And it was a great way to spend the first day of summer!6-21 002Aside from playing golf on one of Baltimore’s most exclusive private courses, the highlight of the day was the collection of antique and classic cars that the golfers drove to the event.

The cars ranged from a great 1960s Porsche Targa6-21 015 to a 1971 Fiat, purchased in Italy, driven through Europe and then shipped to the States.  6-21 007 There was a 1931 three window Ford V8 in an incredible cherry red in near perfect condition. 6-21 021 There were several old Mercedes Benzes, including this 1960’s sedan with a cream leather interior. 6-21 011 Stunning.

But the car that stole my heart was this little 1960s Austin Healey 3000 MkII convertible in a brilliant red, just like a classic Chanel nail varnish. 6-21 029 Just a sweet perfect car. 6-21 028 It was a great day and a great way to celebrate the arrival of summer!

5 comments:

  1. Meg how cool! Fun to see the tournament and the cars are great!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swoon, swoon, swoon over the sweeping green lawns and the beautiful cars. Especially the Austin Healey. When I was 16 my best friend's dad was restoring a bug-eyed Sprite, and let her (us!) take it out for drives. Such memories of that little convertible.

    And congrats on the boardship! Sounds like an excellent fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Benz coupe gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bad... from the Porsche's owner:

    My Porsche is from 1969. Not bad for 41. I actually think it went to Woodstock but can't remember anything because it ate the brown acid. (actually this is a story my father always told us)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. Especially the Austin Healey 3000 the car my husband always dreamed of owning. These days as we negotiate the monstrous speed bumps and brick ramps in every London side street, we know they'd rip the heart and sump out of one of these sleek motors.
    Now, where are the human rights for vintage car owners?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.