July 19, 2011

I’m Recovering…

…a chair, that is! I have a very comfortable arm chair, which is a bit sun-faded, so I thought I’d take things one step further from my recovered sofa and ottomen, and slipcover an arm-chair. recovery 005 What’s so challenging is that I picked a geometric print linen from Victoria Hagen’s collection. The print is Twilight Rhythm in indigo and periwinkle. recovery 003 Because of the pattern, I have to be especially careful about matching the lines.  I started pinning and cutting, with everything inside out. After I did that, I basted it all together to make sure it fit properly. recovery 004 I need to work on the front of the arms to make sure they look tailored, and then I need to decide a couple more things: should I paint the chair’s legs white or cream or leave them dark, and should I make the skirt more tailored than the last few pieces I’ve done, which have had box pleats or semi-ruffles. I thought about doing inverted pleats on the corners and in the center front. recovery 008 I would love your input!

In case you’re wondering what is on the walls, I found a number of embroidery hoops and then cut fabric to fit them, and then hung them on the wall in my workroom. recovery 009 I can swap out the fabrics when I get sick of them, or if I find a piece I especially love.

16 comments:

  1. It's looking fab already!!

    Box pleats would look nice and I would definitely lighten up the legs.

    Love the hoops by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I am in love with those hoops. Loving your fabric choices!
    Your chair is looking good - I like the idea of painted legs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg,
    I love the chair. But when I look at it, I see legs the same color and the blue in the fabric. Have a fantastic week. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chair looks terrific. I was skeptical at the top of the post and envious at the end. And the embroidery hoops are something I will definitely try. (At first, I thought you had a collection of very cool plates.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hoops are the best little idea I've seen in a long time. I have so many fabrics that I love but a girl only needs so many pillows.
    I vote for inverted pleats, corner and center, if and when there is a poll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, Love the embroidery hoops. I'm going to have to use that idea to show off the different monograms we have at Baldaquin.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll join the crowd here and say WOW those hoops are such a great idea!!!
    And, I like your idea of inverted pleats. Would you come down and slipcover some of my chairs??please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl!!! You are fearless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, as always! Love the slipcover and especially the hoops. Such a great way to use just a little scrap of fabric. I bought a huge bag of samples at the estate sale of what must have been a decorator and this would be a great way to use them

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just went online looking for hoops. . . .

    Kmart has square hoops, by the way. However, I thought they were a bit steep starting at $19.99. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked up my embroidery hoops at a local thrift shop for about $1.00 for 3 of them. I always see hoops there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect idea for the embroidery hoops. I saw that on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is it they say... No rest for the wicked? Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Meg Stunning fabric and I am very impressed, I knew you could sew, this is really nice work though!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the embroidery hoops! Will the skirt be to the floor? If so, inverted pleats at the corner. But I wouldn't mind to see the legs painted either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! Love the chair, love the hoops... but I would cut the fabric in a circle larger than the hoops, and let the ruffled edges stick out - it would make them look like sunflowers on the wall!

    Excellent changeability factor, too. When I first looked at the photo, I thought you'd hung retro plates on the wall - another of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.