June 7, 2012

Jubilee: In Numbers

image

• It is estimated that the jubilee celebrations have brought an estimated £120m of sales to London's businesses according to the New West End Company, which represents more than 600 businesses in Bond Street, Oxford Street and Regent Street

• 9,500 street parties were estimated to have taken place in England for the Diamond Jubilee, with another 100 in Scotland

• 1.2m people were estimated to have lined the royal pageant route along the River Thames to watch the flotilla go past which took 75 minutes to sail pass any static point along the route

• A 60-gun salute was fired by the King's Troop during the carriage procession on Tuesday which also included a RAF Flypast and a feu de joie. The royal family watched from the balcony at Buckingham Palace

• 10,000 ballot winners were treated to a picnic in the garden of Buckingham Palace. The hampers created by Heston Blumenthal and the Queen's head chef included tea-smoked Scottish salmon and Eton Mess

• 14.7m people tuned into the BBC's coverage of the diamond jubilee concert on Monday night – the biggest TV audience of the year so far.

Fascinating, no?

12 comments:

  1. Had you been a listener of World Have Your Say perhaps you would have added to the conversation the topic was the Queen and her relevancy to the nation a uniting figurehead or a dividing one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what the world-wide figures for TV were, to include satellite, internet streaming etc - most ex-pats I know tuned in to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be curious about that, too. I watched the ABC network's replay of the concert and it wasn't half of what the real one was. whuch is a shame.

      Delete
  3. I adore these figures, thanks for giving them to us. -Long Live the Queen. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to find you a copy of the Tatler on our recent trip to the UK. Every time we passed a news stand I looked, but never saw it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you as the festivities rolled along. I loved everything about the Jubilee Weekend. What an amazing celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann... it really was terrific! I was so glad that I could find the live feeds for much of it.

      Delete
  6. These are great stats. I loved the Jubilee and think that the celebrations offered the people a wonderful opportunity to relax, thank the Queen and to give a bit of a boost to the economy.

    Have a great weekend, thanks for sharing, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got the most amazing letter from a friend of mine in England who gave me her personal take on the events. She said the weekend put the "Great" back into Great Britian!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.