February 11, 2013

NYC: John Derian

Most people know John Derian from his collaboration with Target a year or so ago, but he’s really much more than some decoupage and pretty plates. Literally, one of the very first posts I did was about John Derian’s shop in New York.NYC 3 (29)

I hadn’t been back since 2007, so we decided to stop by and check it out, again. I am so glad we did. It’s still the same place I adored back then, with some additional fun and whimsy.  (^^^This could be from my house! ^^^)

If we hadn’t been walking, I would have bought out the shop! From the great collections of vintage silverplated teapots and pitchers, to the old-fashioned office supplies, to Derian’s iconic decoupage plates displayed on tables, and on the walls, to the quirky collection of cleaning brushes, everything enchanted and appealed to me in a way that made me smile broadly.

As we moved from the main store to the Derian Dry Goods shop, we found ourselves in a rainbow of brilliantly coloured quilts, blankets,towels, toys, and more.

Derian has opened the basement level of this space and filled it with some of his new line of furniture.

Wonderful kilims, French linens and brightly coloured pillows are everywhere.

One of the things that I liked the best was the collection of antique and vintage glass domes. They were originally used for taxidermy, wedding bouquets and other Victorian specialties, but I like to see them repurposed to house other items.I have several of these that I’ve collected over the years, and they’re becoming hard to find. I always snatch them up when I see them.

My partner-in-shopping-crimes and I prepare to set off to our next stop… tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been shopping in that incredible store, wow I would have bought so many things, love those pots and the vintage cloches, too many things to choose from...thanks for taking us there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collections at John Derian are simply terrific!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing how "things" can make us feel so happy? Especially old things? I mean, if you think about it with your brain only, it's just stuff that someone else used to own. But when you look at these things with your heart, you get such a range of emotions, and even just looking at things you'll never take home with you can bring such pleasure. I'm glad your blog is here - it's another great avenue of wonderful leading directly into my house. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great post and great stuff..

    I really like this blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore him + Glad you got to go to his shop + You are always interesting! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy! I was determined to make it to his shop this trip. I thought David would like it, too!

      Delete
  5. Irresistible finds - I would have been lugging a bag around for the rest of the walk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know those glass domes were originally for displaying taxidermy! How creepy is that! You know, now I feel a compulsion to put my kids' teddy bears on display under little glass domes... ;-)

    Love the vintage office supplies and the way the shop is curated -- it seems like he's created a retail space where shoppers have a feeling of adventure and discovery, like exploring an old attic, minus the cobwebs and mildew. Thanks for taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little piece of sculpture in one and a silver teapot under the other.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.