July 28, 2013

Baltimore: It’s Not Just The Wire

Part of the reason I write Pigtown*Design is to show people that Baltimore isn’t just what you see on The Wire, and in fact, I am giving a lecture on that topic in October. When I first started writing this blog, a guy in England was just beginning to write a blog about The Wire, a television show filmed in Baltimore. As he would write bad things about Baltimore, I’d write back and refute his suppositions. We would go back and forth and try to convince each other that we were right in our assertions. image

I have to admit here that I’ve never seen one minute of The Wire. I was of two minds about it – I didn’t want to know what was going on around me, and I already knew too much of what was going on around me.

A few years later, he wrote a book on The Wire. (Click the image to order… I just did!) imageSo when Steve Busfield came to Baltimore this weekend, he knew to call me and have the “real Baltimore” tour! But since my real Baltimore and his Wired Baltimore only intersect on the most narrow of planes, we did a bit of each piece of Baltimore.

We met up at Camden Yards for a baseball game – in fact, this was his and his two girls’ 18th ballpark they’ve visited, which is about 17 more than I’ve been to!image

We watched the Orioles beat Boston 6-0 and had a great time checking out all of the interesting sections of the ballpark, including walking the length of the warehouse that makes up one side of the stadium. image

On Saturday, we met up at the 200+ year old Lexington Market for some local food.imageThe younger of the girls and I partook of the delicacy known locally as a Chicken Box. It could have easily fed a family of four for several days, and we had to walk away without finishing it. We did manage to have a Burger Cookie or two as well. Click here for an explanation of our lunch.

From the market, we headed over to pay homage to Edgar Allan Poe by visiting both his gravesite and his house. image

From there, we cruised around the neighbourhoods where much of the action in The Wire takes place, and then headed over to Fort McHenry. imageWe were lucky enough to arrive in time for an afternoon military tattoo, which is last orders at a military post. I’ve been to a number of these and they’re always impressive.

Heading out from there, we checked out a few of the hotspots on The Wire tour, including the infamous Greenmount Cemetery, which I wrote about here. greenmount

Of course, I couldn’t let Steve and the girls think that Baltimore’s just The Wire, so we swung by The Book Thing to let the girls pick out some great books they could read on their trips to visit all of the baseball parks. We also drove through some of Baltimore’s more beautiful neighbourhoods to give them an idea of the beautiful architecture here. image

image

We also checked out some of Baltimore’s rather attractive jails, here

and here.image

All in all, I think I did enough to dispel Steve’s idea that all of Baltimore is The Wire. It’s not. It’s much much more.

27 comments:

  1. That view of the jail reminds me of my morning commute to high school -I can't think of high school without the jail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two parts of the jail are actually pretty interesting. The rest, not so much.

      Delete
  2. Excellent photos, and good job defending your turf! I'm sure no one could be so silly as to judge an entire city based on a television show, he's probably just making profits on the book off the reference. Shmaaaaart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that he's genuinely interested in the show. And he's a journalist, so having a book published is a good thing.

      Delete
  3. It is hard to imagine someone writing about any city and basing their information from a TV show. Glad you saw this and wrote the truth. I have been to Baltimore several times since I live in Alexandria and enjoyed my visits with friends. I haven't watched The Wire and probably never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more about what people who don't know Baltimore and do know the show think about Baltimore. If you're in the UK, and all you know about Baltimore is what you've seen on The Wire, you'd get a very distorted view of the area.

      Delete
  4. Great overview of Baltimore. Fortunately, I watched the Red Sox beat the O's 5 to 1 on Sunday to make the series two to one for Boston. Next time you make it to Lexington Market, try Faidley's Crab Cakes which are famous and justifiably so! Baltimore is a jewel that often gets overlooked as a fun and interesting destination in the Northeast corridor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did walk through Faidley's, but since several of us had seafood allergies, we decided to go the chicken box route!

      Delete
  5. This is the second blog post I have read this morning in which the bloggers have gone back to their passion. It shows, what a treat and I thank you. I'm sure your readers remember the role Ft McHenry played in the National anthem. Oh, I also read Cote De'Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not going back to my passion - it's always been there! If you look at the Life in Baltimore tag on my sidebar, I've written more than 600 stories about it. It's a thread through my posts.

      Delete
  6. I have to admit that one of the first few things I think about when I think Baltimore is the Wire. But it is not altogether a bad thing as that show is probably one of the best shows that has ever been written and made. I think most people realize that it is not like it is portrayed as on the show anymore than Miami is Scarface. But my question is - do people from your area consider themselves Southerners or Northerners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern or Southern? Depends on who you ask. I consider myself Southern because my mother's family is mostly southern. And the northern boundary of Maryland marks the Mason-Dixon line.

      Here's a post to read: http://pigtown-design.blogspot.com/2011/04/letter-from-south-carolina.html

      Delete
    2. Or San Francisco just comprised of cable cars and tourist traps.
      Each season of "The Wire" addresses a pressing current social issue - it's not all about drugs and urban violence.
      David Simon writes a fantastic blog - The Audacity of Despair - his love and concern for Baltimore is palpable.

      Delete
    3. At the very end of the series is a beautiful montage of scenes of the city. It's gritty at times, but very loving.

      Delete
  7. I went to MICA many years ago and lived in Bolton Hill, I loved Baltimore but it was a very scary city to live in back then. The Wire (and Homicide Life on the Street) are not all that Baltimore is, but both shows deeply resonated with me and the experiences I had while living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's experience in Baltimore is different. When I moved out of my house downtown, I wrote about my experience there for the Sun, and got a lot of comments saying I was living in lala land because I didn't acknowledge the problems. I do acknowledge them, but they weren't my reality.

      Here's the piece I wrote: http://www.pigtown-design.blogspot.com/2011/05/positives-of-pigtown.html

      Delete
  8. Aren't they Berger cookies? I can't eat them. They are too rich and sting my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! They are Berger cookies. I don't really eat them either, but the girls loved them!

      Delete
    2. I couldn't believe that you wrote "Burger" instead of "Berger"! You should correct the mistake!

      Delete
    3. I should correct it, but I haven't yet.

      Delete
  9. a great piece you have written on Baltimore + love that he looked you up when he came to the US shores. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay Bmore!!! Fort McHenry is one of my favorite places to visit and I was an extra on The Wire twice in season 5...what a great series! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin... when i finally watch The Wire, I will look for you!

      Delete
  11. I've never watched The Wire because I have no interest. His premise makes as much sense as a blog about England as viewed through the movie "Snatch."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched because it was too close to the bone for me.

      Delete
  12. I think The Wire is the best dramatic series in the history of television. Beyond brilliant.

    That said, I agree there's more to Baltimore than what's in The Wire! I'm sure your tour opened his eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.