November 17, 2013

I’ll Take This: Plan de London

You might remember a few years ago when I wrote about the amazing Turgot Plan de Paris. I had put it on a large wall in my former house.10-4 041[7]

Unfortunately, when I eventually took it down in preparation for moving, Connor chewed several pieces of it and they were unsalvageable for the new house, in which there’s a perfect hallway.

A month or so ago, I was looking back through old posts from Ben Pentreath, a London-based architect and shop-owner, and saw that he had a a map of London, similar to the Plan de Paris, in his flat. London41

Amazingly, the sections fit PERFECTLY on the wall! P1090823

Ben said it was the John Rocque map of London, done in a similar style to the Michael-Etienne Turgot map of a similar period, in this case, 1746. It’s officially called The plan of the cities of London and Westminster, and borough of Southwark and is on a scale of 26 inches to a mile. For more information on the map, click here. The map shows internal details for some buildings, such as St Paul's Cathedral, and in less densely populated areas gardens are shown.

And damn if there’s not a link to each piece of the map! I might have to print it out again! imageI’ve been using Staples to print large format pieces, and since everything’s digital, they do a great job for not a lot of money!

If you don’t want to go to the trouble, the map is available here for a mere $850.image I think that I paid $60 for the Paris map. It’s in 24 sheets of cover-weight stock. Or you can buy the map at 1/10th of its original size for $35.00. Ben’s currently in negotiations to re-produce the John Rocque map and he told me to look for it sometime in 2014.

I saw another one listed for $2,400, but the link was broken. However, someone had this fabulous comment, “Old maps make your space seem exotic and traveled.” Quite a trick.

This contemporary Plan de London was produced in 2012 for the Queen’s Jubilee and the Olympics. It’s about 35 x 20 inches and is printed on canvas. It took three years to draw.imageOnly 200 were printed and at £79, that seems like quite a good deal. There’s a paper version for £15. Click here for details.

Do you like  maps as much as I do?

16 comments:

  1. Actually I thought of you the other day when I saw this in the Telegraph:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10436551/Historical-London-maps.html

    As you know, I share your love of maps and am a beneficiary of your reproduced Turgot map of Paris, (part of which graces my guest loo) - http://corcol.blogspot.com/2009/09/river-runs-through-it.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Those are great old maps. I remember a show on BBC called The Mapmaker where they traced old maps overlaid on current places. It was fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Yes but haven't gotten around to hanging or framing any. I already have my walls pretty full but that wall does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how we can find something and live with it these days of the internet.? Yes, maps, a lost art to so many. I doubt that these days most under thirty could read one...sad. I once had a very small bath and used the Paris map on the walls with Modge Podge. Looked fab for years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think about how GPS has changed the way we get/give directions. It is a lost art. If you're in a place where you don't get a signal, or you lose your phone, what then?

      Delete
  4. I found two maps, Environs De Paris and Sorties De Paris both Michelin so colorful which is what I like. I have a map of South Carolina in my kitchen as we have vacationed there often and it brings back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some old maps printed on paper and adhered to linen, so they don't tear. I love old maps!

      Delete
  5. I once wallpapered a powder room for a client in maps. it was stunning + the client loved it. Maps are wonderful. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My medicine cabinet in my den bath is papered with the Turgot map and was featured in Apartment life. I love it. My dining room has the huge later map from Restoration Hardware over the buffet. Everyone that comes to my home loves it. So do I. As you know, I am mad about maps, nautical charts etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Graves that names seemed so familiar and lo and behold I click to your profile and it is you…where have you been my old blog friend? No posts in forever. I hope all is well. Miss you.
      Sorry to use your comment section Meg but haven't heard from Kevin in such a long time.

      Delete
    2. Hi MaryBeth, write me at titanic@swbell.net I'm working on a new blog.

      Delete
  7. Is there anyway you can update the link to the Paris Map? I don't see it on the blog anymore. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swag Paper is another great source for large antique wall maps - swagpaper.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.