February 29, 2016

Debo’s Auction

On March 2, items from the estate of Deborah, the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire will be auctioned at Sotheby’s in London. I was so disappointed to miss the preview of this spectacular auction, which is the UK equivalent to Bunny Mellon’s auction a year and a half ago for its  provenance alone.

I scrolled through the on-line catalogue and picked out some items I would have bid on.

A silver mounted cowrie shell snuff box, marks rubbed, possibly Provincial or European, 18th/19th centuryimage

Her Grace's Collection of Elvis Presley Ephemeraimage

Jonathan Sainsbury GOSSIP - HENSimage

Her Grace's bespoke pine and plywood hen boxes, modernimage

Desk and Reading Accessories from Her Grace's Desk, 19th century and laterimage

Two English chrome car mascots by Louis Lejeune Ltd., modernimage

Twelve Royal Crown Derby bone china 'Chatsworth Golden Wedding' plates, modernimage

80 Glorious Years – Matthew Riceimage

A collection of costume jewelryimage

An English metal mounted plywood egg case, dated 29 May 1929image

To see all of the lots, click here for the catalogue. The estimates are pretty reasonable, but that doesn’t mean they will stay reasonable!

4 comments:

  1. Ever since my first glimpse of her feeding her poultry in a ball gown, I have always been fascinated by Debo. Her love of Elvis maked her so down to earth and relatable to me ( though I am not a big fan of his). I am sure her estate sale will be interesting with prices to match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to have the cash to bid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not exactly what one would expect from a woman with such a grand position/home but thanks to the entail all the best treasures are tied to the house for the forseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have always loved her + thanks didn't know about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.