February 8, 2016

The Year of the Monkey

This is the Chinese Lunar New Year and this year’s symbol is the cheeky monkey!

The general image of people in this zodiac sign is of always being smart, clever and intelligent, especially in their career and wealth.

In addition, their gentleness and honesty bring them an everlasting love life. Although they were born with enviable skills, they still have several shortcomings, such as an impetuous temper and a tendency to look down upon others.

Monkeys are frequently used as a decorative element, and I remember finding a remnant of a gorgeous Schumacher fabric with fun monkeys all over it. Here are some other examples that I found.

P Kaufmann: Elephant Monkey Floral Print

image

Sanderson’ Capuchinimage

House of Hackney Troop image

Caspari Papersimage

Lilly Pulitzer’s Monkey Troubleimage

De Gournay wallpaperimage

Hermes’ Jungle Life wallpaperimage

Herend Three Monkeysimage

Nina Campbell’s Barbary Toileimage

Now that it’s the Year of the Monkey, I am sure we’ll be seeing these cheeky fellows everywhere!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Monkey Year to you! Adore the bottom image - so romantic - and to think, little cheeky monkeys are running amok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, Happy Monkey Year to you, too. These are some great uses of monkeys in wallpaper, although the De Gournay one seems a little strong to me--they should be playful, not nightmarish. (For some Chinese monkeys, please take a look at my recent post.) I think my favorite here is the classic Caspari singerie, although the Pulitzer does have a certain mod appeal.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This monkey business about the new year is a bit more complicated. It is the year of the Fire Monkey! The last time a Fire Monkey year occurred was in 1956!! The years are combined with other elements i.e. gold year of the gold monkey for example. It is worth exploring and the internet does make learning new things easy. I found out at an event celebrating the new year -- calligraphers were on hand to write my name in Chinese on a piece of construction paper painstakingly cut out into the shape of a pickle ha! actually it was Taiwan. I had no idea of the elements but alas I was born in the previous Fire Monkey year --which I learned only a few minutes ago while prepping for my Fire monkey post! Happy New Year and tomorrow is Ash Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.