February 2, 2018

Antiques: The Ultimate in Recycling

I am working on an article about antiques, so I have had to really think about the role they play in our world and in my life. When I moved back to the States, I thought I would only be here for a year or so, but twelve years later, clearly that didn’t happen. I needed to furnish a house from scratch, as I couldn’t imaging living in an empty house. I started haunting antique shops, junk shops, yard sales, auctions and thrift shops in the hope that I could cobble together a decent living situation. image

What I didn’t want to do is go to Ikea, Pottery Barn or somewhere similar and buy a house’s worth of furniture. I knew it would not be the best use of resources in any sense of the word. If I did move within a year, I’d have things that I could sell at a reasonable percentage of what I paid for them, and if I stayed, I’d have pretty decent things that I hadn’t paid an arm and a leg for.

Slowly, over the course of a year, I found pieces I liked, starting with an almost brand new Ethan Allan sofa that someone who lived in a smaller row-house than mine, couldn’t fit through their front door. imageThis is the sofa that I ended up making a slip-cover for… a year after I learned how to sew! That’s Connor in front.image

Then I found an old steel barrister’s book case, and decided it was the perfect place to put my sweaters. image

An old dresser from my mother’s house, and an inexpensive mirror from a yard sale were what I needed to fill a corner.image

When I think about the things in my house now, very few of the furnishings are brand new. image

I like being surrounded by the stories of the items that I collect – after all, you’re really not going to have a story to tell about going to CB2… I can’t imagine living in a brand new house, surrounded by all new furniture. Or even having a new dog! But that’s probably because of the way I was brought up, and that’s my sensibility. What’s yours?

16 comments:

  1. Hello Meg, To me, the fact that furniture and decorations don't repeat is what makes most houses interesting. Individual family history or antiquing stories are a big plus.
    --Jim
    P.S. If you made that cover for the couch, I am impressed. It looks professional.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! Only looks good because you can't see the details. But I am pretty amazed that I actually made it!

      Delete
  2. You have a real talent. My hat is off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy the story behind the things I've collected. And when I don't know what it is, imagination usually provides a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to add, that silver service is incredible. Covet worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My home is entirely furnished with antiques I've found at tag sales, consignments shops, Craigslist, even on the streets of NYC. First of all, it's economical. Secondly, the items are much better made than new furniture. And finally, these pieces have personality unlike the cookie cutter minimalist sticks found in stores now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! As I said, I didn't want to buy a lot of new things if I might move back in a year or so. I hear stories from friends in NYC about the things they find on the streets and lug home. In my neighbourhood, we have a long, low brick wall where people leave things and post curb alerts.

      Delete
  6. Nothing beats the unique aspect of antiques. And the quality--solid wood, fantastic workmanship.
    That slipcover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty amazed that I managed to do the slip-cover. It's not perfect, but unless you really inspect it, you don't see the flaws.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to reading your article, Meg. I am a collector as well and there is nothing of greater quality than an antique piece vs. a newly-purchased one from a retailer. That's one thing younger people don't realize. The great antique buys of today are the heirlooms of tomorrow. Plus, visiting people with the same collecting/shopping habits is ALWAYS an interesting and informative experience. I'm actually ecstatic to hear that maximalism is making a comeback! There's nothing worse than a room without personality or one that isn't reflective of its inhabitants. Awww - sweet Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why your home is so lovely, warm and full of character, Meg!! I can't imagine mine without my antiques and collections.
    xoxo
    L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect post for recycling. We've lived with old things, until they don't work, and maybe then we replace with something new or something old again. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.